- Performance. OpenSSL has code optimized for many platforms. In several tests that we've performed, we've averaged a 70% increase in performance.
- OpenSSL’s code has had a lot of eyes on it. Cryptography is hard to get right.
- Planned future work depends on it.
- Industry-standard cryptography code
- Many, many eyes have looked over OpenSSL’s code.
- It’s used pretty much everywhere.
- We will be able to provide a better freshclam experience in a future release.
- Portability. OpenSSL works pretty much everywhere.
- Maintainability. With OpenSSL backing major infrastructure, operating systems provide quick patches/updates to OpenSSL.
Cons for OpenSSL:
- Possibly bigger memory footprint
- First required dependency for ClamAV’s engine
As always we are receptive to feedback from the community. It is always welcome over on the ClamAV-Users list: http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/ml/